“Definitely keep in mind you might need to add an electrical outlet,” she says. It’s particularly important if you want to be able to plug in a computer or other device. Katelyn Richardson’s closet transformation resulted in a small at-home office. Take inspiration from content creator Jenna Allard https://remotemode.net/ and turn an extra closet into a vanity. “We started by taking out the doors and hardware from the pre-existing closet and then patched, sanded, and painted the interior,” she tells AD. “From there, we lucked out and found the IKEA Kallax bookshelf was the perfect fit as a bench,” she adds.
- Check out this instructable to DIY a fully functional bar in a closet with minimal disruption to your house and no drywall dust.
- By working with one of our designers, you can select features and finishes that will enhance your quality of life and bring out your style.
- Open storage systems do offer complete control over the storage area.
- The most common types of lighting for a closet are recessed lights, strip lights or track lights.
- “If you do nonpermanent upgrades, the beauty is that you can switch it around as much as you wish,” the lifestyle content creator explains.
At least two of the walls should be completely covered with storage furniture. If you don’t want to use a closet design company, you can order walk-in closet storage furniture and wardrobes from major furniture retailers like IKEA. Avoid any wardrobe with legs — they should sit flat on the floor.
Simple DIY Closet Organizer
In case you find a lovely wood surface desk, you can put in richly stained, real wood shelves to complement it. Cabinets are also a vital aspect in many closet office nooks. Although smaller fitted closets might not have space for any cabinets, most closet offices have the area to fit at least one good set of drawers. Probably the most logical place for a tiny drawer is underneath the table.
The most exciting part of converting your unused bedroom into an expansive master closet is it gives you almost unlimited creative freedom over the space. While we can use clever design concepts to create stylish and functional small closets, a bedroom is a blank canvas with almost no limitations. This design by Capital Closets showcases a closet-turned-office that features a built-in desk and shelving, as well as a cozy seating area for relaxation. Storage cabinets are thoughtfully planned and arranged around the desk for maximum efficiency.
DIY Kids Closet Organization
If you’re a real bookworm, add a few more shelves and turn the space into a mini library. For a 2-second home project, place pillows and a furry convert closet to office rug (like this one from Ikea) on the closet floor. Pull back the curtain and invite kids to read in a space that’s the perfect size for them.